Ask Larry

Disabled Adult Child Benefits

Will There Ever Be A Point That My Disabled Son Will Be Subject To Less Extensive CDRs?

Hi Larry, my son is a disabled adult child getting ready to start claiming SSDI from his dad’s record next month. My question is will there ever be a point where he will receive the short form CDR every 3 years, or will he always get the long form with the full CDR every 3 years. He’s 25 now and not due for another review for 2 more years. Thank you so much.

Saturday, July 30, 2022 - 07:14

Will There Ever Be A Time When My Son's Disabled Adult Child Benefits Are Guaranteed To Continue?

When do the CDR's (Continuing Disability Reviews) stop for a person who have DAC Benefits? My son is in his early 40's and as his parents we are wondering if there will ever be a time in his life that his DAC benefits are guaranteed to continue?
Thanks so much for your help

Wednesday, July 20, 2022 - 17:29

If A Person Marries And Divorces While Receiving DAC Benefits On One Parent's Account, Could They File For DAC Benefits On Another Parent's Record?

Hi Mr Larry.

I am the only survivor of my deceased parents. I am their daughter. I currently receive SSI Disability. I am not married. If a person married , and divorced while receiving DAC and Social Security Benefits on one parent's record , can the unmarried person file for the same thing on the other deceased parent's record as long as the Disabled Adult Child is unmarried ?

Thank you , Mr Larry

Friday, June 17, 2022 - 21:27

Can I Draw On My Mother's Record If I'm Already Drawing Benefits On My Father's Record?

I collect SSDI and Disabled Adult Child benefits under my deceased father's work record. Can I draw on my mother's record. Can they combine the two.

Hi. If your mother is deceased or drawing Social Security retirement or disability benefits then you may be able to qualify for disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits on her account. However, you could only be paid on whichever record yields the higher benefit rate, not both.

Thursday, April 14, 2022 - 16:23

Will My Daughter Still Be Able To Receive CDB Benefits On My Account If She Doesn't Qualify On Her Mother's Account?

In 2016, my daughter qualified for child disability benefits under my (father's) work record and still receives them. She also receives SSDI under her limited work record. In 2020, SSA required my daughter to apply for child disability benefits under my wife's record; I believe they did this so that she could technically qualify under my wife's record. My daughter's initial application and Request for Reconsideration were denied on the ground that she was not disabled. We are pursuing an ALJ hearing.

Thursday, April 14, 2022 - 11:15

Will My Daughter's DAC Benefits Be Affected If She's Required To Participate In A 401(a) Retirement Plan?

Will DAC benefits be affected when a recipient is required to participate in a 401(a) retirement plan?
My child is currently receiving DAC benefits on her father's work record. Her current place of employment is requiring her to sign up for a 401(a) retirement plan where they will contribute to the plan based upon her salary. Her current salary does not equate to SGA. Is this considered countable income or a non-countable resource for purposes of her DAC benefit? Thank you!

Monday, April 4, 2022 - 17:40

If WEP Or GPO Applies To DAC Benefits, What Is The Calculation For Offset?

70 yo beneficiary on DAC and a small amount of SSI. Parent whose work record he is drawing on died. Beneficiary now eligible for state pension on same work record. I cannot find clear rules regarding whether the GPO or windfall provision applies to DAC benefits. If so, what is the calculation for offset? SSI will drop off also, correct?

Friday, February 25, 2022 - 15:53
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.