Ask Larry

Disabled Adult Child Benefits

Can I Change My Disabled Adult Child's Benefits From My Father's Record To My Mother's Record?

Currently, i am a 27 disabled male, never worked before, my payee is my mother, but i suspect social security has me under my father, because my medical is under my dad, i believe i get ssi and SSA, i am not completely sure as i am disabled and have adhd along with other problems. Any other info i can happily provide, however my question is this: Can I ask social security who i am currently under? (dads ss# vs. moms ss#), and also if i can change it to my mother, also if you know whether or not i can change my medical to my moms ss# as well please let me know, thanks. P.S.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:00

Can My Disabled Adult Son Get Benefits From His Father's Record?

My 46 year old son began receiving SSDI in 2016. His father who is retired and I are divorced. Can Patrick receive any benefit from his father's retirement?


Probably not. Among other requirements, your son would have to have become disabled prior to age 22 in order to potentially qualify for disabled adult child's benefits (

Best, Jerry

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 - 17:30

Does Housing Assistance Affect Social Security Disability Payments?

I am legal guardian for my disabled 18-year old son who is currently receiving survivor benefits since my husband passed away in 2010. Though my son was disabled since age six, we never applied for ssdi, however, I will be doing so on his behalf very soon. I was told by our SSA office that if his disability application is approved, my son's survivor benefits will be converted to 'adult disabled child' benefits-And due to my husband's income history, my son will continue to receive approx.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:45

Can Children Get Benefits From Both Parent's Records?

My children's father is collecting social security and my two disabled adult children were both approved (verbally in a hearing) to collect SSDI last month. We hope to get the Notice of Award soon. Because there are two of them, the amount they can collect is more than SSI but not by much. When I start to collect social security in about 8 years, will they be able to get SSDI from my social security also? If not, could one get it from mine and the other from their father?


Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:00

Can A Disabled Adult Child Draw Benefits On One Parent's Record First, And Another Parent's Record Later?

Larry, can a disabled adult child start collecting a SSDI benefit based on his 58 year old mother's $500 SSDI benefit, then switch to a higher benefit when his 62 year old father starts collecting his own SS retirement benefit?


Friday, September 2, 2016 - 12:00
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.