Ask Larry

Can My Disabled Adult Daughter Apply For Some Of Her Deceased Father's SS?

My daughter's father died last month she has been disabled since 2005, she'll be 38 this year. Can she apply for some of her father's SS.. Thank you.

Hi. Your daughter can definitely apply for disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits, but in order to qualify for benefits she must be unmarried and Social Security will have to establish that she became disabled prior to age 22 ( Your daughter can initiate the application process by calling Social Security.

Best, Jerry

Aug 5 2022 - 10:51am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.