Ask Larry

Can I Draw On My Mother's Record If I'm Already Drawing Benefits On My Father's Record?

I collect SSDI and Disabled Adult Child benefits under my deceased father's work record. Can I draw on my mother's record. Can they combine the two.

Hi. If your mother is deceased or drawing Social Security retirement or disability benefits then you may be able to qualify for disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits on her account. However, you could only be paid on whichever record yields the higher benefit rate, not both.

Establishing entitlement to benefits on more than one parent's account can potentially allow the family maximum benefit (FMB) rates on those accounts to be combined. But, combining the FMBs on your parent's accounts would only translate to a higher benefit rate for you if your DAC benefit rate is being reduced because of the FMB. You'll need to check with Social Security to find out if it would benefit you to apply on your mother's account.

Best, Jerry

Apr 14 2022 - 4:23pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.