Ask Larry

Is There Anything Else I Need To Do?

Hi Mr Larry
I was found disabled on 01/01/1988. My disability began before 22. I think I applied , it had to been before 22, because I was found disabled 01/01/1988. My mom is deceased. I am 56 years old. I called social security this morning to apply. They set me an appointment to speak to someone. I am applying for Disabled Adult Child Benefit and Survivor Benefits. A lot of the health problems I am having now is the same ones I had 5 to 6 years ago. I HAVE DOCUMENTATION OF IT ALL. I HAVE FULL DOCUMENTATION OF MY NEEDING A FULL HIP REPLACEMENT. MR LARRY ,DO YOU THINK THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO DO SIR ?

Hi. The first step is applying for benefits, so if you've made an appointment to do that then you've probably done all that you can do for now. If you were established as being disabled by Social Security prior to age 22, and if you haven't done any substantial gainful work since that time then Social Security may be able to approve your claim without requiring a new medical determination. Otherwise, when you apply for benefits you'll need to tell Social Security about any doctors or hospitals who would have your medical records dating back to before you reached age 22. Social Security would then try to obtain those records in order to make a determination on your claim.

Best, Jerry

May 9 2022 - 3:28pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.