Disabled Adult Child Benefits

Can My Son's Disability Onset Date Be Changed So That He Can Receive Benefits Off My Account?

My son got on SSDI at 28 on his own work record for a major mental illness condition. He is now 41. He was disabled before age 22 but did not get SSDI until a social worker at a hospital assisted us in getting him benefits at 28 on his own work record. I recall her saying that if he did not have enough credits she could get child benefits. I was told at the time that he could not get child benefits because I was not receiving my SS yet. So he has been receiving off his own record for 13 years. 1 year ago he was incarcerated. and his SSDI was put on hold.

What Would You Suggest?

Hi Jerry,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Well, this is bad news for me - I was hoping I could suspend for 3 years and increase my monthly benefit that way. More importantly, I was looking forward to "retirement" thinking only then would I be safe from the threat of a "medical review" and losing my benefit altogether. I'm terrified of that. It also really sucks that I cannot marry - I thought perhaps after age 67 I'd regain that basic human right, but now I guess not... I truly wish I'd never been born. There seems to be no end to my pain and suffering!

Do CDB Benefits Convert To RIB At FRA?

Hello -

I receive a type of DIB called CDB (Childhood Disability Benefit, formerly known as DAC - Disabled Adult Child benefit).

Does this automatically convert to RIB at FRA (67 in my case)?

Can this be suspended for 3 years at FRA in order to increase the benefit by 24%?

I have another very important question:

I highly suspect that the PIA they used to calculate my benefit is wrong - my father was a doctor for well over 40 years - yet my DAC / CDB benefit is nowhere near the maximum, even considering that it's only 75% of PIA...

Is My Mentally Disabled Brother-In-Law Entitled To Collect Some Of His Father's SS Money?

My brother in law is mentally disabled, he gets a $712.00 per month . He's father is deceased now, took care of him all of his life. Is he ( the son) entitled to collect some of his father's SS money? The $712.00 isn't enough for him to find housing to live.
Thank you,


Is It True That I May Be Able To Get My Mom's Social Security?

i was in a car wreck at age 19 . i was diagnosed with a brain injury and was declared disable . couldn't walk or talk. my mom applied for a medicaid waiver program that i was accepted in. she died when I was 20. I am now 22 and in one of their housing programs . I only get ssi $700 A MONTH . i WAS TOLD I MAY BE ABLE TO GET MY MOMS S.S. Is that true?
.because if i moved out on my own i cant do it with only $700 a month.


I'm sorry for your loss.

Is It Possible That I Could Still Qualify For Survivor Benefits From My Father's Record?

I read , that even though I I am over the age of 18. It has already drawn. To that page as my deceased fathers survivor benefits. Now that I am disabled through blindness and do not have enough work credits. I could possibly still draw from his. Social Security off survivor benefits, is this true?


Do You Think That I Could Qualify For Disability Benefits From My Step-Father's Record?

As a child, my mother received Social Security benefits after my step father died when I was 11 years old. I had been molested by this man from the time I was 3 years until his death. Although I never applied for any disability benefits or even SSI until my late 50s, I believe my disability began as a child as a direct result of the years of molestation. I began using drugs at age 12 and have continued to use throughout my life. I was first sentenced to prison at age 17 on a drug charge, and have gone to prison 5 times throughout my life.

If My Daughter Gets Married And Divorced, Would She Be Able To Get DAC Benefits Again?

I'm using your software to figure out different scenarios with our DAC. She receives SSIMedicaid and I would like to get her on DAC benefits based on my record (I'm 62) This would make it easier to plan for her future in the sense of receiving/owning financial assets. However is she would get married the DAC benefits could be taken away and any assets would prevent her from receiving SSI again. This could happen as she is prone to make "bad" decisions. After a divorce would she be able to get the DAC benefits again?


Is There Any Way That My Daughter Could Be Eligible To Receive Assistance?

My husband and I have an adult child who is 22 years old. She has had a very rare debilitating illness since she was 10 or 11 years old. She has been misdiagnosed for 11+ years. She finally received an accurate diagnosis July 19, 2019. Although she has attempted to attend college and work many times, since graduating from high school, she is unable to sustain either because of her debilitating symptoms. I am 63 years old and my husband is 62. My husband works full-time. I work part-time so that I may be available to care for our adult daughter as needed.

Can A DAC Opt For The Higher Of SSI Or Half Of Their Father's Disablity Benefit?

For a DAC from birth (Down Syndrome) who started receiving SSI at age 18, can they opt for the higher of SSI or half of the father's disability benefit (still working - 35 yrs paying into SS)? This will not effect the current Medicaid Waiver program? Also, will not effect the ability to receive 75% of the Mother of Father's FRA SS upon the parents passing? Nor will it effect the Mother of Father's ability to collect SS upon reaching FRA?