Ask Larry

Disabled Adult Child Benefits

Could I Qualify For Disabled Adult Child's Benefits From My Father If My Husband Is Approved For Disability Benefits?

I’ve been disabled before age 22. I’m currently married. If my husband gets approved for social security would I be able to get adult child disability from my father who recently passed away? I’ve read you have to be unmarried but if you marry someone on social security you have a protected marriage and can get adult child disability. I didn’t know how it worked when your already married and during the marriage your spouse get social security if I’d be eligible to draw off my dad social security since I’ve been disabled since 18.

Tuesday, January 5, 2021 - 12:35

Will My Disabled Child Receive 50% Of My Age 62 Rate Or My Full Retirement Age Rate?

My DAC (he is 24 yrs with autism) will receive the 50% of my SSA benefits using my 62 early retirement benefits, or my 66 and 8 months FRB? The amount change considerable. Thank you in advance for your answer.


Child benefits, including disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits, are calculated at 50% of a living parent's primary insurance amount (PIA), or 75% of a deceased parent's PIA. A person's PIA is equal to their Social Security retirement benefit rate if they start drawing their benefits at full retirement age (FRA).

Sunday, December 13, 2020 - 14:04

Will My Son Receive My Total FMB If He Qualifies As A DAC?

I wrote to you 9/15/2020 concerning getting my disabled adult child benefits on my SS. He is 42 and started receiving benefits on his own record at 28. His present benefit is $790. plus he receive a small amt from SSI. Now I am receiving my SS benefits and since he was disabled as a child, I figured it was worth trying to get him DAC to increase his benefit. Since his original determination considered his disability onset when he applied at age 28, SS told me he was not elegible for DAC benefits--on more than one occasion.

Wednesday, October 21, 2020 - 08:25

Can My Son's Disability Onset Date Be Changed So That He Can Receive Benefits Off My Account?

My son got on SSDI at 28 on his own work record for a major mental illness condition. He is now 41. He was disabled before age 22 but did not get SSDI until a social worker at a hospital assisted us in getting him benefits at 28 on his own work record. I recall her saying that if he did not have enough credits she could get child benefits. I was told at the time that he could not get child benefits because I was not receiving my SS yet. So he has been receiving off his own record for 13 years. 1 year ago he was incarcerated. and his SSDI was put on hold.

Wednesday, September 16, 2020 - 13:13

What Would You Suggest?

Hi Jerry,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Well, this is bad news for me - I was hoping I could suspend for 3 years and increase my monthly benefit that way. More importantly, I was looking forward to "retirement" thinking only then would I be safe from the threat of a "medical review" and losing my benefit altogether. I'm terrified of that. It also really sucks that I cannot marry - I thought perhaps after age 67 I'd regain that basic human right, but now I guess not... I truly wish I'd never been born. There seems to be no end to my pain and suffering!

Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 10:19

Do CDB Benefits Convert To RIB At FRA?

Hello -

I receive a type of DIB called CDB (Childhood Disability Benefit, formerly known as DAC - Disabled Adult Child benefit).

Does this automatically convert to RIB at FRA (67 in my case)?

Can this be suspended for 3 years at FRA in order to increase the benefit by 24%?

I have another very important question:

I highly suspect that the PIA they used to calculate my benefit is wrong - my father was a doctor for well over 40 years - yet my DAC / CDB benefit is nowhere near the maximum, even considering that it's only 75% of PIA...

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 09:28
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.