Ask Larry

Can I Draw From My Father?

I have been disabled before 19 and I draw SS mad SSI I have been married 3 times going threw a divorce now I was told where I have never draw SS from my dad that after my divorce I can draw from him can I Thanks

Hi. If you're currently unmarried and if you've never collected benefits on your father's Social Security record in the past, then you may be eligible for disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits. There isn't enough information in your question for me to be able to know if you would meet the requirements, but you can make an appointment to apply by calling Social Security. There probably wouldn't be any point in applying before your divorce is final, though, since being unmarried is one of the requirements for DAC benefits (

Best, Jerry

May 9 2023 - 8:40pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.