Ask Larry

How And When Do I Apply For My Son To Continue Receiving Benefits As A Disabled Adult Child?

I have been receiving ssdi for a mental health disability since 2018 I have also been receiving additional benefits for my minor son who is himself disabled with a diagnosis since age 13 and has continued treatment and diagnosis not to improve he himself is going to be 18 in 8 months how and when do I apply for him to receive the same max dollar amount under my record as an adult disabled child?

Hi. Social Security won't accept applications to convert child benefits to childhood disability benefits (CDB) until a child is at least 17 1/2 years of age ( So, you'll want to contact Social Security about filing for CDB benefits for your son once he is within 6 months of turning age 18. You won't be able to apply online, so you'll either need to visit your nearest Social Security office or call to make an appointment.

Best, Jerry

Apr 10 2023 - 6:22pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.