Would I Be Able To Apply For DAC Benefits?

Jan 9 2021 - 4:23pm

I got my dads social security when I was a teen in his care. I wasn’t disabled at the time. I got married at 16 and no longer got my dads social security. I became disabled around 18 and divorced a few months later. Would I be able to apply for DAC?


You can always apply, but it doesn't sound like you could qualify for disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits on your father's record. A marriage that occurs during or after a prior period of entitlement to child's benefits would preclude re-entitlement to benefits on the same parent's account, unless the marriage was legally void or annulled. Refer to the last paragraph in the following section of Social Security's handbook: https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook.03/handbook-0341.html.

Best, Jerry