Divorced Spousal Benefits

Could I Still Claim Benefits On My Ex-Husband's SS If I Remarry At Age 61?

I was married for 13 years to my ex husband and am now 61. He is 59. I am considering marriage again to a gentleman 7 years my senior. My ex husband has a much larger Social Security investment than I or my gentleman, as he has paid in the max for the last 35 years. Could I still claim on my ex husband's SS if I remarry at 61?


Can My Mother Draw Some Money From Her Ex-Spouse's Social Security?

My mom married a man that had been in a marriage for 10 plus years and divorced. So him and my mother was married for 5 yrs and divorced can she draw some of his social security?


If I'm understanding you correctly, then no. Your mother would need to have been married to her ex-husband for at least 10 years prior to their divorce in order to potentially qualify for divorced spousal benefits (https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html).

Best, Jerry

Am I Entitled To Some Benefits If My Ex-Husband Is On Disability?

My ex husband has been on disability for 18 years. We were married for 12. Am I entitled to some benefits also?


Possibly, but in order to qualify for divorced spousal benefits you'd need to a) be unmarried and b) either be at least age 62 or have a child in your care who is eligible for child's benefits on your ex's record and who is disabled or under age 16.

Best, Jerry

Is My Husband's Ex-Wife Entitled To Divorced Spousal Benefits?

My husband was married previously for 10 years to a Spanish citizen. They lived in the US for 6 of the 10 years and his first wife had a green card while here. After their divorce in 1980 she returned to Spain. My husband currently takes social security benefits. Is his ex-wife entitled to divorced spousal benefits?


Is It Possible For Me To Get The Same Benefit Amount As My Ex-Husband Is Receiving?

Hi Larry, I am divorced after 23 years of marriage. I started collecting SS last year when I turned 62, my ex just applied at aged 67 and is getting almost twice what I am, is it possible for me to get the same as he is at this point? I had heard that is possible. Btw his rate is based on MY earnings record as he has either been a c-corp or gotten 1099 for 40 years. Any clarification on this issue would be helpful, thank you! Deborah

Hi Deborah,