Ask Larry


Can My Brother In Law In Mexico Apply For Benefits?

My brother in law was deported in 1997. He recently asked me if it would be possible for him to file for social social security from Mexico, now that he is age 66.

Hi. Your brother in law can certainly apply for U.S. Social Security benefits, but I don't if he'll qualify to actually be paid benefits. Social Security benefits are normally prohibited by law from being paid to someone who has been deported (

Wednesday, August 4, 2021 - 11:18

Will I Be Able To Collect Both Social Security And The Spousal Annuity I Receive From The Department Of Defense?

Currently I am receiving a Spousal Benefit Program annuity from the Dept of Defense since my husband passed away in 2016. He served in the Navy for 21 years and retired in 1993. I am soon to be of full retirement age myself and have worked in the medical field many years (non-military). Will my Social Security be offset due to this annuity? Will I be able to collect both?

Monday, August 2, 2021 - 19:45

Will My SSDI Benefits Be Reduced Due To My Husband's Pension?

Hi Larry,
I am currently receiving Social Security disability . I worked for the Federal Government. My husband will be retiring soon from the USPS he is a CSRS employee. Will my Social Security benefit be reduced due to his pension? Also, will my Social Security benefit be reduced if I were to collect an Annuity? Wondering if he should pay the monthly cost for me to be an annuitant if my Social Security is going to be reduced ? Thank you

Friday, July 30, 2021 - 15:37

Aren't Survivor Benefits A Part Of Social Security?

You say you only work with social security, but isn’t survivor benefits a part of social security ?

Hi. Yes, Social Security pays a number of different survivor benefits to surviving spouses and ex-spouse's, children, and dependent parents. I don't know what you're question references, but I'm only able to answer questions if questioners give me enough information about their age, marital history, work history, etc. Estimated benefit amounts are also helpful if known.

Thursday, July 29, 2021 - 09:55

How Do I Change The Account Where My Checks Are Deposited?

How do I go about having my social security check sent to my checking account instead of our joint checking account. I have had 3 strokes and I need to be in control of my own money. Please don’t call the phone number I have listed. My husband is always around. Thank you so much.

Hi. You may be able to change your direct deposit information online at: Otherwise, your best option would be to call Social Security at 800-772-1213.

Wednesday, July 28, 2021 - 11:03
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$299 Annual Financial Advisor License