Ask Larry

Filing For Benefits

Can I Refuse To Receive Death Benefits From My Ex-Spouse?

I am living in public housing, my ex husband passed away 6 weeks ago, coming to find out that my children are entitled to my husbands death benefit. Two of my children are working and 1 is still in school. The problem is that when I was notified that my kids were entitled to his death benefit, which causes a problem in my living situation at public housing because I am over income. I don't want to have to tell my kids they have to give up there jobs that they went through and college to receive a degree in career in what they want to do.

Wednesday, February 3, 2021 - 10:59

How Does My Wife Request To Change From Her Own Benefit To A Spousal Benefit?

4 years ago, both age 67 then, we took advantage of wife claiming her benefit, husband claimed spousal to take advantage of credits to age 70. It's now time to change that to husband claiming own benefit, wife changing from "own" to spousal to maximize total benefit for couple. I understand husband files an application to claim his own benefit but what/how does wife make request for change from "own benefit" to spousal? Thank you!


Monday, January 25, 2021 - 14:58

Where Can I Fill Out An Application For My Wife's Death Benefits?

Larry, looking for application to fill out for my wife's death benefits.


I'm sorry for your loss.

Social Security's website claims that they are constantly expanding their online services, but as of now it isn't possible to file for survivor benefits online. You'll need to call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 to initiate the application process.

Best, Jerry

Saturday, January 16, 2021 - 14:41

How Should I Answer This Application Question?

This questions is in regard to item# 14 on form SSA-1-BK. I worked for the same company for 32 years. The first year as an hourly employee, during which time I was under a pension plan. The last 30 + years as a salaried manager. All earnings in those 32 years were taxed, including SS. At retirement I began receiving pension payments of $62 per month. Would my answer be yes or no? Thank you.


Friday, January 15, 2021 - 10:29

Does My Application Date Affect The Fact That I Want To Receive My Benefits After My 70th Birthday?

I will turn 70 May of this year (2021). I received a letter from SS which included a link to begin the process for applying for benefits. In doing so (online), I was informed the following. "We may use 01/06/2021 as the official date of your application for Social Security benefits. In order to use 01/06/2021, we must receive the signed application by 07/07/2021 or you may lose Social Security benefits."

Does using the application date, in this case 1/6/21, effect the fact I want to received my benefits after my 70th birthday in May ?


Wednesday, January 6, 2021 - 14:44

When Should I Start Applying For My Benefits?

Hi Larry,
My full retirement age is 66 and 2 months. I will be turning 66 in May. When should I start applying for my retirement social security? Barb

Hi Barb,

Social Security allows people to apply for benefits up to 4 months prior to the month that they want to claim the benefits. So, if you want to start your benefits effective with the month you reach full retirement age (FRA) you could file an application as early as March. Of course, if you want to start drawing sooner than FRA you can apply earlier.

Tuesday, December 29, 2020 - 09:32

Which Month Should I Choose To Start My Benefits In Order To Receive My Full Age 70 Rate?

I will türm 70 on November 4, 1951. I have not taken Social Security benefits on my record although I am taking a spousal benefit under a restricted application. In order to maximize my own benefit should I apply to have my own benefit to start in November 2021 or December 2021 and how far in advance may I submit that application? Also, what must my wife do to switch from her own benefit to a spousal benefit. Also, is there a way to do that online or can I do it over the phone?


Friday, December 25, 2020 - 09:36

How Do My Wife And I Go About Filing For Benefits?

My wife will be retiring in April 2021 and is planning to file for SS (she will be 65). I plan to file for restrictive application at the same time so I can let my account continue ( I just turned 67) till 70. I was born in 1953 so I am eligible for that. Does the SS office have to fill out those papers or can I do that on line? If so what is the form #? Also since I have not taken my SS yet isn't the amount suppose to go up by 8% each year that you delay? I just looked at the statement and it showed that it increased by $24 dollars.?!


Wednesday, December 2, 2020 - 09:09
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.