Ask Larry

Filing For Benefits

Is It True That I Can Only Apply For My Benefits At My Local Office?

I filed a restricted application for a spousal benefit only back in 2017 when I turned FRA 66. I filed at my local social security office. I have been receiving 50% of my spouses social security amount. I am turning 70 and I have been told on the social security national 800 # that since I filed the spousal at the local office I can only file on my own record at 70 at the local office & cannot file on the national 800 #. Is that true & why is that? Thank You

Saturday, April 17, 2021 - 10:31

Can I Apply For Spousal Benefits At The Same Time That My Spouse Applies?

Born before Jan 2, 1954. Have not applied for my SS benefit yet.
When my spouse applies for SS benefit, can I apply at the same time as Restricted application for my benefit and claim spousal benefit on my spouses's benefit record. Or, I have to wait for my Restricted application until my spouse's benefit gets approved.


Wednesday, April 7, 2021 - 18:17

When Should My Husband Apply In Order To Make Sure He Receives The Last Year's 8% Increase?

My husband turns 70 in a few months. He has been collecting half of my benefit while his benefit increases 8% each year until age 70. When does the 8% increase amount reflect on his personal benefit each year? When should he apply in order to be sure that he receives the last year's 8% increase? A few months before his birthday or after?

Monday, February 22, 2021 - 15:20

When Can I Start My Application?

I want to retire in June 2021. When can I start my application?

Hi. Social Security allows people to apply for benefits up to 4 months prior to the month that they want to start their benefits, so if you want to start your benefits in June 2021 you can apply now. However, you may first want to consider using our software ( to fully analyze the options available to you so that you can choose the best strategy for maximizing your benefits.

Saturday, February 20, 2021 - 11:52

Can I Refuse To Receive Death Benefits From My Ex-Spouse?

I am living in public housing, my ex husband passed away 6 weeks ago, coming to find out that my children are entitled to my husbands death benefit. Two of my children are working and 1 is still in school. The problem is that when I was notified that my kids were entitled to his death benefit, which causes a problem in my living situation at public housing because I am over income. I don't want to have to tell my kids they have to give up there jobs that they went through and college to receive a degree in career in what they want to do.

Wednesday, February 3, 2021 - 10:59
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$250 Annual Financial Advisor License