Ask Larry

Child Benefits

Could My Husband Get Social Security For Our Grandson Who Lives With Us?

If my husband and I have legal and permanent custody of our grandson since 2014 and he's 10 years old, could my husband get social security for our grandson who has been living with us for 8 years? Do we have to adopt him or is having legal and permanent custody is good enough to have for him to receive the social security benefits.


Saturday, June 6, 2020 - 09:23

Can A Person Draw Off Of Their Mother, Father Or Other Relatives?

Can a person draw off of their mother, father or any relatives social security?
I never got back pay and I d applied three times for disability!


A child can potentially qualify for benefits on a parent's record if the parent is either deceased or drawing their own Social Security benefits, and the child unmarried and is either under age 18, 18 to 19 and still in high school, or disabled from an impairment that began prior to age 22.

Best, Jerry

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 11:14

Why Did Only One Of My Children Receive An Increased Benefit Amount?

My 2 children (twins) are receiving social security payments due to their father’s disability. At the time that the payments started, there were 4 children (my two plus the dad’s two).

One of the dad’s other children turned 18. I received a letter in May 2019 indicating the benefit for only one of my children is being raised because the benefits to another person ended in June 2017.

It looks like they recalculated the benefits and determined an additional amount was due to my oldest son.

Monday, December 30, 2019 - 13:46

Can I Appeal Social Security's Decision To Stop My Benefits?

Hello, I have been receiving benefits from my deceased father for over two years now but my income has reverently stopped and I have discovered it is because after 2 months of being 19 my benefits will stop. When I applied for these benefits no one had told me this information or that after a certain amount of time after being 19 that I am not eligible for these checks anymore and was told that they had sent me a letter but I have received nothing.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 - 09:37

How Can You Find Out If A Child Is Due Survivor Benefits?

If a grandparent has guardianship of a grandson and the mother died and the only information that you have is she died at the age of 21, and coroner will not release information on her death and is holding the body, and can for up to a year, how does one find out if he is due survivor benefits? Grandmother is the Father's mother. The two were never married. CPS was involved in the Guardianship. Maternal grandmother had a celebration of life and wanted donations to go for her only son who is in the care of the Paternal grandmother and Grandfather.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 - 11:21
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.