Ask Larry

Child Benefits

How Will Benefits Be Affected When One Of The Children Drawing Benefits Turns 18?

Hi - father with disability is receiving SSDI $1,500, his two children are receiving $600 for both, one of the children is turning 18, how will the benefit be affected, go away? The child is not disabled and not in school. Thank you

Hi. Once a child turns age 18 they can only remain eligible for child benefits if they are either still in high school or they are disabled. So, it sounds like the child turning age 18 in your example will stop receiving benefits effective with the month they reach age 18.

Wednesday, March 29, 2023 - 07:56

Will Social Security Pay A Lump Sum Amount Retroactive To My Daughter's Birth Date?

Hi Larry,
I have been on social Security disability since 1997. I am 62 and got married 12 years ago and was blessed with a daughter who is now nine years old. I recently found out about auxiliary benefits and contacted SSA and now await monthly payments for her. What I would like to know is will they pay a lump sum retro-active to when she was born in 2013? If not, why?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Tuesday, March 21, 2023 - 20:51

Can A Grandparent With Custody Of Their Grandchild File For Child And Child In Care Benefits?

I just have a quick question, if a grandparent has custody of their grandchild and is providing 100% of the childs care and claiming the grandchild as a dependent can the grandparents file a for child benefits and child in care benefits? The child is 13 and they are eligible for social security benefits and make less than the earnings limit. We were told that the child has to be legally adopted for this benefit from the social security office. Is that true?

Wednesday, January 11, 2023 - 17:32

Is My Child Entitled To Retroactive SSDI Benefits In Addition To Survivor Benefits?

Hi -
My daughter's father recently died and I have begun the application for survivor's benefits. Her father and I were not in communication and I did not know he had been receiving SSDI for nearly a year before his death. Is my child entitled to retroactive SSDI benefits in addition to survivor's benefits? Thank you for any insight you can share.

Wednesday, December 14, 2022 - 15:57

How Far Back Can My Son Be Paid Benefits From His Father's Account?

Hi, my son was eligible for auxiliary benefits (his whole life) from his father. His father and I are not on speaking terms, and I could not provide the information to get an appointment to get it set up. I finally got the information 6 years later, and have an appointment next month. I am being told by ssa that benefits would be retroactive for 12 months, whereas, others are telling me that it would be retroactive to when his father became disabled. I just want to know what to expect, and what information is correct.

Wednesday, October 12, 2022 - 12:39
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.