Ask Larry

Could My Adopted Child Receive SS Benefits In The Philippines?

I am an american living in the Philippines and married a filipina who has a child, by another man, she is currently 12. I plan on adopting this child, my question is can the child receive SS benefits from my SS. We do currently live in the Philippines, I have been here for ten years, thank you for any info...

Hi. Assuming that your wife and child are not U.S. citizens, it sounds like the only way that they could be paid U.S. Social Security benefits based on your record while living in the Philippines would be if you lived together in a family relationship in the U.S. for at least 5 years (

That said, it couldn't hurt to apply for benefits on behalf of your adopted child in order to get a formal determination from Social Security.

Best, Jerry

Feb 15 2023 - 1:38pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.