Non-Covered Pension - WEP / GPO

Am I Eligible For Payments From The UK And The US?

I work for a US Company, however I worked in the UK for 10 years after 5 years in the UK due to the Totalization Agreement with the UK my company stopped paying Social Security etc in the US and started paying into the UK system (from 2003 to 2007) now my US Social Security Statement shows 0 Earnings from 2003 to 2007. What should I do? Am I eligible for a UK payment as well as a US payment?

Hi Tom,

Can I File A Restricted Application For Spousal Benefits?

My husband and I will be 66 in September 2017. He gets a teacher pension but has a small social security benefit from other work history that is offset by his teacher pension. He started taking SS benefits last year at age 65. I would like to hold off on taking my SSbenefit until age 70. Can I file a restricted application for spousal benefits? Will my benefit be based on his benefit original benefit amount before it was offset by his pension, or on his much smaller actual benefit amount?


What Is The Effect On Social Security If You Participate In 401(a), 403(b) Or 457 Plans?

What is the impact on Social Security benefits when you work in the private sector, but then work in the public sector such that you opt out of the public employee pension system (matching contributions from state, but without a guaranteed pension benefit, that is, no pension payment, just a pot of money to invest) and participate fully in 401(a), 403(b), and 457 plans? Since there is no pension, per se, is there no reduction in SS benefits?

Can I Withdraw My Pension Contributions In Order To Avoid An Offset To My Divorced Spousal Benefits?

I'm was married 21 years.
I have taught in Ohio since 1981 on and off.
I put into STRS State Teachers retirement for 13 years.
I withdrew all of the money 6 different times. The was a 10% penalty on the funds I received. These funds were NOT matched by STRS. I got back only what I put in minus the 10% penalty. By doing this I was no longer vested.
Since then I have accrued 3 years in my STRS account totaling about $9000.00 and in 2 more years I will be vested again. I am 58.5 years young.

Will My Husband Be Able To Receive My Benefits If I File And Suspend?

I will be 66 in February, 2017, my full retirement age. I am still working full time. My husband will never be able to collect any of my social security due to the windfall elimination. If I file and suspend my Social Security, if I were to die suddenly, would my husband be able to collect my suspended benefits? If not, I am thinking I should just file and collect at 66.


Can I Potentially Meet the 30 Year Exemption To WEP If I Continue Working Past Age 70?

If I am subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision and Government Pension Offset, and am currently continuing to work and pay into Social Security, if I continue to work past 70, will that give me additional years to average in order to get close to the 30 or more years required to move closer past the offset? I note the chart shows that even though I am subject to the offset that these additional working years would increase my benefit payout.


Does My Hungarian Pension Reduce My US Social Security Benefit?

I am 66 years old. I came to US as a postdoc fellow in 1991. I became a naturalized US citizen in 2001. I got my Hungarian pension (~$300/month) since 2000 . I receiving my US SS benefit since two months (~$2200/m).
US-Hungary had made a new agreement in 2016. I made a high earning income for 24 years in US.
Does my Hungarian pension reduce my US SS benefit?


Do You Have Any Advice?

I was an adjunct instructor at a community college for 12 yrs. I was mandated to pay 7.5% of my salary to the Mass. Smart Plan (deferred compensation) in lieu of SS (OBRA). Six years after retiring,I withdrew the money in a lump sum .I paid federal & state taxes. The SSA now declares that this plan is "for purposes of GPO" a public pension. The state paid no money into this account & I paid all admin. fees. They placed a GPO on my spousal SS benefits & required a repayment of $5,928.