Ask Larry

Non-Covered Pension - WEP / GPO

Will My Social Security Check Go Down Now That I Receive Minister Retirement?

I just turned 70 and retired rrom ministry where I did not pay social security....i have been receiving small ss check for 3 years (590 a month) from work before seminary and pt job while in ministry. Does that ss check go down now that I receive minister retirement? Thanks in advance..


Thursday, November 7, 2019 - 09:28

Isn't It Correct That You Don't Pay WEP On Japanese Social Security?

HI Larry
I did buy your software and ran the numbers. I have a question? My spouse draws Japanese social equity Born 1955 (63)I was born 1957(62) So I her income was higher, I filed Married and clamed her as spouse and there was no difference With WEP if she file on her own or if I claimed her as a spouse me claiming first . I thought you did not have to pay WEP on Japanese social security if she was filed as my spousal benefit .
Thank you for your help


Tuesday, October 22, 2019 - 10:18

Can My Wife Choose To File Based On Either Her Own Work History Or On My Record?

If my Japanese wife draws both us and Japanese social security . She has worked in the united states for 20 years and is one year older than me. Her us social security is about $120 more on her own work record than if i claimed her on my social security as a spouse. Can she choose her work history which is higher or can she choose a lower about as on my work history as a spouse? All this to avoid WEP tax . We have not filed for US social security yet . Please advise

Thank you

Hi Joe,

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 - 13:02

Are The Current Bills In Congress Proposing Repeal Of WEP Receiving Any Momentum?

Hi Larry, I know my question only applies to 4% or less of people claiming Social Security but has major implications for us, that of course being WEP. I'm well aware that it has been loathed and berated for 35 years. My question is whether with the current raft of repeal bills (H.R 141, H.R. 3934, H.R. 4540 and possibly others) there is any more momentum than there ever was in years gone by. I'm guessing the liklihood of any bill passing is slim to none but haven't counted how many previous bills died.

Hi Doug,

Saturday, October 5, 2019 - 15:40

How Will My 401(a) Affect My Benefits?

I'm struggling with one question, and I can't believe my situation is that unusual, but I can't find a definitive answer.
I'm eligible to collect a benefit on my former spouse's earnings record. I, too, worked and paid into Social Security for 40 quarters but my former spouse always made much more than me. I was told by Social Security the amount of the benefit I would be eligible to collect when I quit my job soon.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 08:20
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$250 Annual Financial Advisor License