Ask Larry

Deemed Military Wages

What Would You Advise?

Larry, I contacted SSA concerning military credits and was told there is no way to verify that I am getting the credit. I did verify my reported SS wages from W2 forms, and they are the same as on SS web site estimate, no difference showing credit. below is a transcript of my conversation with SSA concerning same. Please advise, Thank You!

Hi Brian,

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 11:20

Am I Eligible To Receive Extra Social Security Benefits For Having Served In The Military?

Am I eligible to receive extra social security benefits having served on active duty from Feb. 1956 to Feb. 1959?


Not necessarily. What you would be eligible for are military wage credits (MWC) and deemed military wages (DMW) for that period of time. Those extra wage credits could then be used in the calculation of your retirement benefit rate, which may or may not increase your rate depending on how much you earned in other years.

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 07:03

Shoud I Contact Social Security To See If I'm Getting All I'm Supposed To?

I am 69. I applied online for Social Security Benefits when I was 62. I served in the Air Force from 19 June 1968 until 30 June 1994.
I'm not sure the online application I did let me enter my Active Duty Military Service time. I never had to show anyone my DD214.
Should I contact my Soc Sec Office and ask them to look at my record to see if I am receiving all I am supposed to, or did they ask
me on the online application about my miltary service? Thank you.


Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:08

Where Do I Send My Proof Of Military Service?

I am retired, living in Australia and a Vietnam veterans. I am still a citizen of the United States. I receive some social security payments in conjunction with the aged pension from Australia. I understand that former military are eligible for payments due to their service but because I’m outside of the US do not know how to contact nor where to send my copy of the DD 214.


Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 07:26
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.