What Would You Advise?

Aug 29 2018 - 11:20am

Larry, I contacted SSA concerning military credits and was told there is no way to verify that I am getting the credit. I did verify my reported SS wages from W2 forms, and they are the same as on SS web site estimate, no difference showing credit. below is a transcript of my conversation with SSA concerning same. Please advise, Thank You!

Hi Brian,

I didn't post your transcript because it's so lengthy. All I can tell you is that if all of your active military service was during the period 1968-2001, your deemed military wages (DMW) should have been posted to your record automatically. Mistakes can be made, but in my experience the automatic crediting of DMWs was almost foolproof.

If you had any active duty during the years 1957-1967, you would need to submit proof of your service to Social Security in order for them to credit your DMWs. DMWs stopped being added to active military wages in 2002, so no credits would be added to your normal wages for any periods of active duty that you may have had after 2001.

If you filed for benefits recently and you don't believe that you received proper credit for your active duty, you may still be able to file an appeal (https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10041.pdf). If you're outside of your appeal period, you could submit a written request (preferably on a form SSA-795) asking Social Security to recompute your benefit rate. In either case you would ideally want to submit proof of your active duty and earnings for any periods that you believe that you may not have received the appropriate DMWs (https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook.09/handbook-0953.html).

Best, Jerry