Suspending Retirement Benefits

Is There A Deadline For Advising SSA That You Want To Suspend Your Benefits?

Hello, Jerry. Thank you for all the information you provide us, day-in and day-out. It is very much appreciated! I understand that if someone receives SSDI and reaches FRA, their SSDI automatically converts to regular retirement payments. Is there a deadline by which one has to advise SSA that they would like to "suspend" the newly-converted payments in order to receive DRCs? Can someone do this at any time before age 70?

Is My Husband Permitted To Suspend His Benefits At Age 66?

In reading your book, Get What's Yours (Social Security revised ) I am confused about suspension of benefits at Full Retirement Age for those who have been on disability benefits. I am referring to page 54 "When disabled workers reach FRA, their disability benefit turns into their full retirement benefit. They can suspend their retirement benefit, but they can't withdraw it." And on page209 regarding sentences in the POMS "to prevent the disabled from exercising the file-and-suspend strategy," I am sure I am missing something here and would like clarification in our situation.

Is It Too Late To Add Remarks To My Application?

I filed and suspended prior to my 66th birthday in May 2015. But the Remarks section of my application did not state that I wanted to begin receiving Benefits on my 70th birthday & that I wanted to refuse Retroactive Benefits. Can I still contact Social Security to add this to my application prior to the start of my Benefits in May 2019? Or am I stuck with getting Retroactive Benefits?


How Does My Husband Go About Reinstating His Benefits?

My husband filed and suspended before April 30, 2016 at age 66. He is turning 70 in October and wants to apply to reinstate the benefits that he voluntarily suspended and obtain a lump sum payment for those 4 years. Can he apply online? How many months in advance of his 70th birthday in October? Is the entire lump sum subject to income tax withholding? Thank you.


Can I Suspend My SS Benefits Until Age 66?

Hi Larry: I will turn 63 March of this year. I started taking my social security October 2018. I currently have it going to a high yield savings account. I have a small C corp business which I make enough to live on. I am also planning on getting married to a 77 year old man who is also working and collecting social security. I am beginning to think, after reading some of your responses that maybe I should have waited until at least age 66.

My questions are, can I suspend my ss benefits until age 66, and will getting married affect my benefits?

Does An Un-Suspension Count As An Application For Benefits That Can Be Withdrawn?

After receiving Social Security disability benefits, I suspended retirement benefits starting the month I reached full retirement age, to earn delayed retirement credits.

Well under a year ago, I un-suspended benefits for two months, then re-suspended them.

Does the un-suspension count as an application for benefits for the purpose of filing a form SSA-521? If possible, I would be interested in repaying the two months of benefits received and earning the additional delayed retirement credits.


Is It True That You Can Start Drawing Benefits Before Full Retirement Age (FRA) And Still Suspend Them When You Reach FRA?

Is it true that if you are single (never married) and take your social security early, before your full retirement age, and you can still suspend you benefits when you reach you full retirement age? If you can suspend at your FRA, do you have to repay all the benefits you already received? Also, is your payment locked into the rate you received with early retirement?


Must I Wait Until Age 70 To Resume My Benefits If I Voluntarily Suspend Them?

Dear Larry,
I will reach full retirement age in Feb 2019.
I am currently receiving SSDI, that will convert to retirement benefits.
I have read theQ&A(Aug 6 2016 - 11:30am) Answered by Jerry.
"Can I Prevent The Conversion Of My Disability Benefits To Retirement Benefits At Age 66?"

I want to voluntary suspend my retirement benefits, and I plan to do this before Feb 1.

Can My Wife Voluntarily Suspend Her Benefits Online?

Planning ahead for possibility of delayed retirement benefits for spouse who is 62 and currently receiving SSDI. Have had two phone interactions with SocSec and one in person. One of the phone reps and the in-person rep simply stated that it could not be done, implying that spouse had already gotten a deal on the level of his SSDI payments. Quoted the POMS section you referenced in an archived answer to the guy on the phone, asking for his interpretation.