Divorced Spousal Benefits

Can I Collect On My Ex-Wife's Record If She's Age 62 And Not Yet Drawing Benefits?

I am 63 1/2 years old I collect Social Security disability my ex-wife who I was married to for 30 years been divorced now for six or seven years she just turned 62 in December can I collect on her Social Security since she will get more she is still working and plans to retire at 66 do I have to wait


Does My Ex-Husband Have To File For His Benefits Before I Can File For Ex-Spousal Benefits?

My ex-husband turns 62 in May and I am hoping to begin collecting ex-spousal Social Security benefits at that point. I have been given conflicting statements about whether or not he needs to have filed for benefits before I can file for them. Is it necessary that my ex has filed for his SS benefits before I can file for ex-spousal benefits? (We were married for 24 years and I am not remarried.) Thank you for your help

Hi Wendy,

How Can I Receive My Ex-Husband's Benefits?

Hi Larry..my question is how can I received my ex husband's benefits...we were married 10 years and I am now remarried but am considering divorcing and remarrying to receive a better benefit..I am 53 and on disability. I have heard that I need to divorce before age 60 and remarrying after 62...my husband is a citizen of another country..your help is appreciated..Thank you


Could I Be Eligible For Divorced Spousal Benefits?

My ex husband told me I might be eligable for his social security benefits now while he is still living because he has worked for the railroad now for 13 years. I remarried 15 years ago and still married.


You couldn't be eligible for divorced spousal benefits on your living ex's Social Security record if you are currently remarried to someone else. And, the only way that you could potentially qualify for survivor benefits on your ex's record if he dies before you is if you were at least age 60 when your current marriage took place.

Can I Switch From Drawing Benefits On One Divorced Husband's Record To Another One?

Can I switch SS benefits from one divorced husband to 2nd one, married 15 yrs to one & 10 Yrs to other


Potentially, yes. In some cases it's possible to file for reduced benefits on one ex's record at age 62 and then switch to unreduced benefits on the other ex's record at your full retirement age, but it all depends on your individual circumstances. Our maximization software can help you determine your best course of action.

Best, Jerry

Would I Be Entitled To SS Based On My Ex-Husband's Record?

Female - DOB June 1953
Married Sept 1989 - Divorced October 2001
Moved to the U.K. 2006 - Kept US citizenship - Have Unlimited Leave to Remain Visa
Married a British Citizen - has never worked/lived in the USA, never paid SS or USA taxes so no entitlement.
I am both nearing SS age and considering moving back to the USA
Would I be entitled to SS based on my ex-husbands