Ask Larry

Filing For Early Retirement Benefits

Why Can't I Get My Full Benefit Rate At Age 76?

I was out of work at 62 yrs of age. At that time there were a lot people out of work but the government ran out of money to pay unemployment benefits. Consequently I had to go on social security at a much reduced rate. Now I am wondering why I cannot get my full benefit rate at age 76 to help manage my life. Especially since I have heard the government is trying to use ssi to assist folks coming across our borders. Please help me.

Tuesday, June 7, 2022 - 11:16

Why Wasn't I Paid For Any Months Prior To Last November?

I turned 62 in April 2020. This is when all this was just starting with the pandemic. I called every single week all the way up to Nov. before I was finally able to talk to someone. They gave me a phone apt. for Dec. Well the lady calls we go through everything end of conversation. When I started receiving it I got paid 1050$ for 2 months. Ok then they started paying me 814$ a month. No explanation why it changed no letter anything. When I called them she still didnt answer why it changed . I also ask why I didnt receive payment from April til now and she said we dont go back.

Monday, July 12, 2021 - 17:30

How Would Filing Early Affect My Future Widow's Benefits?

Dear Larry, I wish I would have found this several months ago, which would have greatly reduced my stress and frustration. What a wonderful service! My husband and I had carefully planned our retirement strategy and then planned it again based upon the significant law changes five years ago. I am almost seven years younger than my husband, so we decided to definitely wait for his filing for retirement benefits until he was seventy because he planned to continue working past seventy, etc..

Monday, November 23, 2020 - 08:58

Is It Really Worth It To Delay My Application?

Urgent because I am so broke. My birthday is Dec. 30 and I'll be 63. I'm putting in for early benefits. Is it really worth it to delay my application for that 5%? Do they prorate the previous year so that I get at least some of the higher benefit--or am I treated the same as if I applied on my birthday at 62.

This really is urgent because I can't keep up with my rent and need cash ASAP.


Just another American "Hero"


Monday, November 26, 2018 - 16:30

If I File For Benefits At Age 62, Will Social Security Use Assumed COLA's To Determine My FRA Rate?

I am almost 62 years old. I plan to take social security benefits when i am age 62, I understand that the amount will be a reduced benefit based on my Full Retirement Age (FRA) amount at age 67. So looking at my current social security statement estimate if I take it at FRA 67, from what I have read, this amount does NOT include any future unknown COLA adjustments from now to that age (62 to 67).

Sunday, April 8, 2018 - 12:29

Am I Able To File For Benefits At Age 62?

I'm turning 62 next month, my husband started collecting his benefit at 65, not his full retirement age. I'm no longer working. Am I able to file for benefits at 62? Would I be better filing for spousal benefits? Please advise? Thank you,


Yes, you could file for reduced benefits at age 62. What you then would receive is essentially the higher of your own retirement benefit rate or your spousal benefit rate, which would then be reduced by roughly 27% - 32% of your full retirement age rate.

Saturday, March 17, 2018 - 08:16
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.