Ask Larry

Am I Able To File For Benefits At Age 62?

I'm turning 62 next month, my husband started collecting his benefit at 65, not his full retirement age. I'm no longer working. Am I able to file for benefits at 62? Would I be better filing for spousal benefits? Please advise? Thank you,


Yes, you could file for reduced benefits at age 62. What you then would receive is essentially the higher of your own retirement benefit rate or your spousal benefit rate, which would then be reduced by roughly 27% - 32% of your full retirement age rate.

Before filing, you should consider using our maximization software to compare all of your filing options and determine your best strategy.

Best, Jerry

Mar 17 2018 - 8:16am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.