Ask Larry

Filing An Appeal

How Can I Appeal Not Being Paid Survivor Benefits?

I misunderstood the decision to deny me survivors/widow benefits. I was waiting on my funds to be deposited. After the 5th month, I called.I had received a letter stated that if I received a pension I would not receive benefits but the next line said my benefit would be $1315.70 a month. I would be getting that the 4th Wednesday monthly. I really needed these benefits. I need to appeal this decision.

Wednesday, December 22, 2021 - 20:50

What Do I Put In The Big Box On The Form Appealing My Disability Check?

What do I put in the big box on form ssa statement of claimant appealing my disability check

Hi. I'm not sure what form you're referring to. If you're filing for reconsideration, which is the first appeals step, you would use form SSA-561. In the areas provided on the form you would explain what issue you're appealing, and why you disagree with Social Security's determination.

Best, Jerry

Thursday, October 7, 2021 - 16:38

Can I Request An Administrative Law Judge Hearing?

Trying get my ss check back to it's original schedule of third week of the month(birthdate July 16th) his was Oct 28th) , was changed to the 3rd of each month without my knowledge when ex-husband became an auxiliary beneficiary (deceased as Dec. 2020) . Have written two reconsideration appeals both denied, can I request an Administrative Law judge hearing , if so which form should I use? Thanks in advance for any information related to this issue

Wednesday, June 23, 2021 - 09:58

How Should My Husband Proceed In Order To Get His Benefit Rate Corrected?

SSA has reduced my husband's SS benefit because he is also receiving a Canadian pension. The problem is that the WEP reduction was based on his pension in Canadian dollars, which resulted in a reduction of more than 50% of his Canadian pension, if converted to US dollars. He appealed this decision and after waiting 5 months for SSA's reply they didn't even address the concern of not converting Canadian dollars to US dollars. The "form" letter indicated that he would have to go through an ALJ hearing as the next step.

Friday, January 8, 2021 - 10:31

Does It Sound Like I Have Reasonable Grounds For An Appeal?

I am about to file an appeal due to the windfall clause. I worked in Switzerland over a 10 year period and receive a small AVS amount from them. When I filed for retirement (66) in February my benefit was lowered by $411 dollars. Here’s the deal. I asked for an explanation and was sent only a faded form letter. I am filing the appeal to see the actual calculations used based on all of the information I provided. I want to make sure the places I worked for in CH paid properly and that my ex’s income was included. Does that sound like reasonable grounds for an appeal?

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 - 09:22

Can I File An Appeal Back To September 2018?

Dear Larry:
I was born in 1951, currently working full time, plan to not collect my own benefit until age 70. I was married 13 years, divorced in 2012. I was employed by a PERS for 12 years from 1973 till 1985 where I did not pay social security, took a disbursement of member contributions of $14, 141.93 in 1986 which cancelled all service credit. The PERS document states that refunds consisted of only member's contributions. I am not eligible for a monthly benefit.

Sunday, October 27, 2019 - 11:12

What Can I Do To Appeal?

A few months ago, I lost my Social Security Benefits for Disability that I was getting for years. After I got a letter stating my last check, my beneficiary filed for an appeal. I'm still currently waiting for a letter stating I will be getting my SSI back. Now I've received letters that I will no longer be getting food stamps and medicaid due to the loss of my social security income. I'm an New Mexico resident. What can I do to appeal all of this? I'm struggling to make ends meet as is, I cannot find work and still struggle with my disabilities.


Thursday, June 6, 2019 - 09:32

Can You Give Us Any Advice Regarding An Appeal?

Unfortunately, my husband waited to file SSA Retirement at age 74. Over the past 10 years we have been unable to complete and file our taxes due to many unforeseen circumstances (which we have since detailed to the IRS and Mass D0R). We both also thought that he would not be able to file for SSA Retirement until the taxes had been filed and that the longer he waited to file for SSA, the more he would receive in benefits - we have just found that not to be true. He filed for SSA in January, 2019 and received his payment mid February which included payments going back 6 months.

Friday, February 22, 2019 - 10:14
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$299 Annual Financial Advisor License