Ask Larry

Would My And My Spouse's Income Make Our Adult Child Ineligible For Food Stamps?

Our adult child, living with both parents, receives SSI for cerebral palsy. I was told by SSI representative that it is mandatory for recipients of SSI to apply for SNAP or they will deduct from the SSI check because the food in our home would be considered a gift and has a monetary value. But I think as adults in the home my spouse and I make too much money and the food stamps would be rejected. Or am I supposed to present this adult child as an independent person and a sole person in the household when I complete the food stamp application?


I'm sorry, but my expertise is limited to Social Security benefits only so I am unable to answer your question. You may want to try researching the USDA's website (, or you could direct your question to the SNAP office in your state (

Best, Jerry

Nov 21 2019 - 8:18am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$250 Annual Financial Advisor License