Ask Larry

Would My Adopted Grandchild Still Be Eligible On My Record If I No Longer Have Physical Custody?

I am 66 yrs. old and have adopted my grandson. If I no longer have physical custody, he may move back with his mom, will he then no longer be eligible to draw social security from me?


As your adopted child, your grandchild would not need to be living with you in order to potentially qualify for child's benefits on your record.

Best, Jerry

Aug 23 2017 - 7:11am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$250 Annual Financial Advisor License