Ask Larry

Will Social Security Adjust My Earnings Record To Include Earnings I Had Using A Different Social Security Number?

Am already retired since year 2007 and I forgot to include few more years worked with different social security number. I called SSA they took the information and told me they will make adjustments in 30 days. Question: Those adjustment could be for the the years not included and with the other number. I have that number myself and it was real name and real Documents..Dou you thing that SSA may do adjustments for those years I wasn't paid for those additional years worked? Thanks a lot for your help and answers Larry

Hi. Yes, I think so. What happened in your case is rare but not unprecedented, and Social Security has procedures to consolidate a person's earnings from more than one Social Security number (SSN) onto a single SSN. My guess is that it will take much more than 30 days to straighten things out, though, so you should prepare to be patient.

By the way, Social Security retirement benefits are based on an average of a person's highest 35 years of Social Security covered wage-indexed earnings, so the additional earnings you mention will only increase your benefit rate if they cause your earnings in those years to be higher than one or more of the 35 years currently being used to calculate your benefit rate.

Best, Jerry

May 3 2021 - 5:44pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$250 Annual Financial Advisor License