Ask Larry

Will My Son's Benefit Amount Change When I Start To Receive Social Security?

Larry - i have an adult son who is mentally handicapped and he is collecting SSI. I am 65 and am wondering when i start to receive Social Security will i need to change anything for him and will the amount he receives change ? Thanks, Michele

Hi Michele,

It sounds like your son may qualify for disabled adult child's (DAC) benefits once you start drawing your benefits. The benefit rate that can be paid to DAC beneficiaries on the record of a living parent is 50% of the parent's primary insurance amount (PIA). A person's PIA is equal to their Social Security retirement benefit rate if they start drawing their benefits at full retirement age (FRA).

If your son does qualify for DAC benefits, his Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments will be reduced basically dollar for dollar by the amount of his DAC benefit. If his DAC rate is higher than his SSI rate, his SSI payments will stop.

You may want to strongly consider using our software ( to fully analyze the options available to you in order to determine your best strategy for maximizing your benefits.

Best, Jerry

Feb 10 2021 - 3:41pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.