Will My Husband's UK Pension Affect My Social Security Benefit?

Feb 25 2017 - 7:30am

To pay medical insurance I want to collect my SS (I will be 64 in Aug). My husband is from the UK and he has credits for about 20 yrs work in the UK We married in 1987 and he retired in 2005 after 18 yrs working in US, He is receiving US SS and a small reduced UK SS. Questions - I understand he was supposed to inform US SS about the UK SS (when he filled out the papers he was honest and told both of them, the US that he was going to file in the UK and the UK that he had an US SS)? and does any of this have an effect on my SS which is more because I worked for 30 yrs. What do I do Long story thanks for your help.


No, your husband's UK pension will have no affect on your Social Security retirement benefit rate. Hopefully, he is receiving the correct amount, since it sounds like his US Social Security should be affected by WEP (https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf).

Since you were born prior to January 1 1954, you would have the option of filing for spousal benefits only at age 66 and letting your own benefit rate grow until age 70. You might want to think about running the maximization software available on this website before you file for benefits.

Best, Jerry