Will My Husband Receive Benefits If I File At Age 66?

Jan 21 2017 - 7:15am

I am grandfathered in on the social security restricted application, born Sept 1953. My husband born Dec 1956. If I take my ss benefits at FRA of 66 will my husband receives ss benefits?


Possibly. He'll be over 62 when you turn 66, so if you file then for retirement benefits he could file for reduced spousal benefits. He'd also be deemed to be filing for benefits on his own record, though, and he'd only receive essentially the higher of the 2 benefits.

It sounds like you and your husband have a number of potential filing options available. You may want to consider running the maximization software available on this website in order to be sure that you make the best filing choices.

Best, Jerry