Who Do I Complain To About The Windfall Elimination Provision?

Feb 7 2017 - 6:00am

Who, and when did the law go into effect for people who worked for a government entity (Bus driver for OCTA) and get a pension from them, but have to take a % cut in our social security? I would like to know who to contact in the government branch to get this changed. It is not fare in my eyes. I have payed into SS, it makes no sense to me that we are denied full SS. Thank you


The regulation to which you refer is the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), which was part of the 1983 Social Security amendments passed by Congress (https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf). Only Congress has the authority to change the law, so you would want to direct your complaints to your Congressional representatives.

Best, Jerry