When Will I Receive My Higher Widow's Benefits?

Aug 27 2016 - 12:30pm

My husband who received a higher SS payment than me passed away the middle of June. I have filed the appropriate paperwork at my local SS office but am wondering when I can expect to receive his higher amount and also if they will be retroactive dating back to June. If there is anything else I should be doing, please let me know. I received my August payment today and see it is still only my lower amount. Thank you for your help.


I'm sorry, but I can't give you a definitive answer. In some cases, the conversion is automatic, but in other cases, an application or signed request for conversion is needed. The processing timeframe differs based on these various circumstances.

In any case, the conversion to widow's benefits usually takes less than 60 days from the time that any necessary paperwork is filed. If it takes longer than that, you can follow up by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.

Best, Jerry