Ask Larry

When I Reach Age 62 Can I Collect Part Of My Ex-Spouse's Social Security?

I was married for 10 years to someone in the Army.
Once he retired from the Army I was able to collect a part of his military retirement.I am also on Social Security disability.Im now 60 years old. When I make 62, is it true I can collect a part of his social security?

Hi. I assume you mean that your ex-husband is still living. In that case you could potentially qualify for divorced spousal benefits on your ex's account as early as age 62, but your divorced spousal rate would be reduced for age if you start drawing prior to your full retirement age (FRA). Also, you'll only qualify for divorced spousal benefits while your ex is living if a) your ex is either drawing his benefits or he's at least age 62, and b) his primary insurance amount (PIA) is more than twice as much as your PIA. A person's PIA is equal to their Social Security retirement benefit rate if they start drawing their benefits at full retirement age (FRA), or their full Social Security disability (SSDI) benefit rate.

Best, Jerry

Jul 7 2021 - 10:01am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.