When Can I Apply For Divorced Spousal Benefits?

Mar 14 2017 - 7:15am

Hi Larry and thanks for reading my question.
I became divorced in 2008 after almost 29 years of marriage.
I became disabled in 2005 and get a very small pension which I have to pay from to receive my Humana health insurance.
My ex husband was ordered to pay me permanant alimony but in 2010 he moved to a nother state and I can not go after him because it is a civil matter and not child support.
This is my question I am 64 but my ex does not turn 62 until July 1st of 2018.
When can I apply to receive half of his social security at the earliest date ?.
Also I have no contact or know his where abouts and I was told if he passes away I will receive more then half of his SS pension . therefore will the SS office be informed of his death ?.
I know I have a long time to wait before he reaches 62 but I just need to know what I have to do and when.
Thank you for your time and God bless you for helping people understand Social Security.
Mona Lisa

Hi Mona Lisa,

Unless your husband becomes entitled to Social Security disability benefits, the earliest that you could qualify for divorced spousal benefits is when he turns age 62. Social Security is almost always notified of a person's death either through a state death index or by funeral homes, so if you are receiving divorced spousal benefits and your ex dies before you, you should start receiving the higher survivor rate automatically.

Best, Jerry