Ask Larry

What's The Best Way To Maximize Benefits For A Disabled Adult Child Upon The Death Of The Parents?

What would be the best way to maximize an adult child with a disability's (Down syndrome) social security payments upon the mother and father's passing? What percent of the mother and father's SS payments will the disabled adult receive?
Thank you for your response!


Disabled adult child's benefits are paid at a rate of 75% of the deceased parent's primary insurance amount (PIA). A person's PIA is equal to their Social Security retirement benefit rate if they start drawing at full retirement age (FRA). If both parents of a disabled adult child are deceased, then the child could be paid up to 75% of the PIA of the parent with the higher PIA. In other words, the disabled adult child could not draw benefits from both deceased parents at the same time.

Disabled adult child's benefits are not reduced for age, so if a disabled adult child qualifies for benefits then they would likely want to claim those benefits as soon as possible.

Best, Jerry

Aug 5 2019 - 10:04am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.