What Should We Do?

Sep 10 2019 - 10:49am

Hello. We do not know what to do about the following situation. We had 2 scheduled phone calls with a Technical Expert concerning my girlfriends eligibility for paid Medicare Part B under her late husbands work record pertains to Medicare Federal Employment Provision 810.5.6.

The employee had to get permission to unlock her late husbands work record and scheduled a subsequent call. When the Technical expert called back she said that my girlfriend was eligible for Social Security under her late husbands work record and that “they (SS) had made a mistake”. My girlfriend had applied for SS about 10 years ago and had been determined not eligible under her or her late husbands record,

The Technical Expert then said let’s complete the application for SS right now over the phone. She all of s sudden said she would have to call us back in 5 minutes as she needed to change computers to take the application. She never called back and we hVe been trying to get in touch with her by leaving daily messages at her extension number for several weeks now! I HAVD TRIED LEAVING MESSAGES ON OHHER EXTENSIONS CLISE TO HERS ASKING THAT THEY ASK HER TO CALL BUT that has not worked, I continue to call daily to document her unresponsiveness to our calls. I cannot figure out a way to talk to her supervisor about the situation. I SUSPECT THAT WHEN SHE ADMITTED THAT THEY MADE A MISTAKE SOMEONE YANKED HER OFF THE CALL IMMEDIATELY because it involves years of back payments for both SS and the Medicare Part B my girlfriend has been paying herself for years! PLEASE ADVISE US IN WHAT YOU THINK IS GOING ON AND WHAT YOU THINK WE SHOULD DO. I WAS THINKING A LETTER WOULD BE GOOD IN ORDER TO DOCUMENT THE SITUATION BUT DO NOT KNOW WHO TO SDND IT TO. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you with your advise.


I don't have enough information to be able to tell you whether or not your girlfriend is eligible for survivor benefits or whether or not she could be paid back pay. If your girlfriend is unable to visit a Social Security office in person, she could try calling the national Social Security toll free number 1-800-772-1213. That wouldn't connect her with the same technical expert that you previously spoke with, but they might be able to give you a status report or make an appointment for your girlfriend to file an application for benefits.

Best, Jerry