What Should I Do?

Jul 16 2017 - 8:44am

I became disabled as a minor and started receiving Social Security benefits. They had my dad listed as the wage earner. My dad passed away in 2004 and when I print out my proof of SSI income it still has my dad's SS# above mine but yet is states beginning Jan., 2017 that I am on SSI. I was 17 when I became disabled due to my heart and I am now 46 and married. I am up for review and I am scared to death that I will lose my SSI and Medicaid due to my husband's income. I am lost!!! There is no way that I can survive without that SSI amount and my Medicaid. What should I do? Though my husband's gross income is the max of 760 a week we can barely live. I have a pacemaker/defibrillator what would I do without my Medicaid and my SSI to cover (my) bills???


I confused about which type of benefits you are receiving. You seem to indicate that you are receiving both Social Security Disabled Adult Child (DAC) benefits and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Normally, DAC benefits terminate due to marriage unless you marry a person who receives certain types of Social Security benefits themselves. Hopefully, that exception applies in your case. If so, your husband's income would not affect your DAC benefits.

However, SSI and Medicaid are needs based benefits so a spouse's income level can effect a person's eligibility for those benefits. I don't know what to tell you other than to be honest and open with Social Security during your review and hope for the best.

Best, Jerry