What Is Our Best Strategy?

Jan 26 2017 - 7:30am

My husband turns 66 in July - I am 64 and we have a 15 year old grandchild of whom we have custody. We need to file for his SS in order to buy a house. He plans to keep working as do i, for another couple of years. Is our best option to just file for his? I think I read that we can file for additional benefit for the child - is that correct? Thank you!


Your grandchild won't qualify for child's benefits on your or your husband's records unless he is either adopted, or if both of his natural parents are either disabled or deceased.

The best filing strategy for you and your husband depends on numerous factors, so you may want to consider running the maximization software available on this website in order to determine the best plan.

Best, Jerry