What Happens When I Turn Age 70?

Feb 10 2017 - 6:30am

Larry, I am receiving divorced spousal benefits, I will be 70 in May 2017 when I want to get benefits on my own record, can I still receive the spousal benefit as well? Do I have to notify social Security that I want to start drawing my own benefits?


You must file an application in order to start receiving benefits on your own record. You can apply up to 4 months in advance, so you can contact Social Security as early as today to start the application process.
You will only be eligible for the higher of your own benefit amount or your divorced spousal rate, not both.

Best, Jerry