What Can We Pay For Out Of Our Son's SSI?

Oct 4 2018 - 10:39am

My son just started receiving SSI. He lives at home with both parents. Received part of his back pay. We are using his money to redo his room (new bed, windows, flooring, lighting). Have used some for food and clothing. Do I have to keep track of spending the back pay?We don't charge him rent but can we use some of that money to help us out with our house payment? We don't have a heat pump, we use a wood stove for heat. Can I use some of his money to help us get the wood? If yes to these can I just write up a receipt? I keep trying to call social security but can't get anyone on the phone. I'm new to this and really don't want to screw this up for him. Just looking for help please. Thank you


I assume you mean that Social Security has appointed you as the representative payee for your son's benefits. If so, your responsibility is to use his benefits for his necessary living expenses, including food clothing and shelter. You can use his funds to pay for normal household expenditures, but only to the extent of what his share of the expenditures would amount to. For example, if there are 3 of you in the household it would be reasonable for your son to pay for up to a third of any household expenditures needed to maintain and operate your home. It sounds like wood is a necessary household expenditure in your case, so I would assume that you could use your son's funds to pay for up to a third of the amount needed for wood.

You should keep receipts when possible at least when it comes to any major expenditures. Social Security will ask you to complete an annual representative payee accounting form, and although you aren't expected to have receipts for each and every expense you'll want to be able to verify that the amounts you list on the form are as accurate as possible. And, if you haven't already done so you should read the following Social Security guide for representative payees: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10076.pdf.

Best, Jerry