What Can I Do To Speed Up The Processing Of My Application?

Dec 7 2016 - 12:00pm

SSI application eligibility: Foreign pension requirement.

Hi Larry,
I'm a 65 years old naturalized citizen in process of applying for SSI benefit. To determine my eligibility, I was asked to present an evidence that I have applied or attempted to for any pension in my native country (which is Nepal). The problem is my native country doesn't have any Government sponsored pension or SS type of system unless you were a government employee. I worked in various private business during my adult life and I came here more than 10 years ago. I informed Social security that I do not qualify for any pension in my native country but they are strictly requiring me to present some sort of formal document on this. Could you please suggest of any such document I might be able to present for to move my application forward?


I assume that Social Security wants something like a formal denial notice, showing that you've applied for and been denied a pension from Nepal. You should not, however, be required to apply for a pension for which you are clearly ineligible.

If Social Security is making unreasonable demands, you may want to consider contacting one of your Congressional representatives. That could be one of your US Senators, or the Congressional Representative from the district in which you live. A staff member from their office may be able to intervene on your behalf and encourage Social Security to expedite your claim.

Best, Jerry