What Can I Do?

Dec 5 2016 - 10:30am

My husband (67years old) retired abandoned me (66 years old) in the state of Massachusetts and left me ( he goes to live in France ) with no financial support, a lot of unpaid billsand he refuses mail from me. What can I do?


I'm sorry, but Social Security is my only area of expertise, and there's not enough information in your question for me to be able to offer you much help in that regard.

I can tell you that you are old enough to qualify for Social Security benefits. If you've worked and paid into Social Security for at least 10 years, you may be eligible for retirement benefits, or if your husband is drawing Social Security benefits, you may be eligible for spousal benefits on his record.

Also, if you have very limited income and resources, you may be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), which is a needs based program administered by the Social Security Administration. For more information about Social Security and SSI benefits, see the following pamphlet: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10024.pdf.

Best, Jerry