What Avenue Should I Take To Resolve This Situation?

Mar 7 2018 - 7:17am

I have an adult son (19) who receives disability benefits, he has autism. My ex husband went to social security and had his benefits placed in his name. I didn't fight it as he needed the money to provide housing for our son when he was with him. I keep our son the majority of the time now, he was keeping him half of the time, and I have asked the ex husband to help with some of the financial costs of caring for our son. He has not and will not give me any of the benefits to help support our son. What avenue should I take to resolve this situation?


It sounds like you should file to become representative payee for your son (https://www.ssa.gov/payee/). Also, if your ex-husband has not been properly handling your son's benefits then you should report that fact to the Social Security administration.

Best, Jerry