Is There A Separate Form Used To File Online For Retirement Benefits?

Mar 3 2018 - 9:55am

Good afternoon. I have the "Get what's yours" book and its very helpful. Here are my questions:
1. I turn 66 in July, 2018. I am on medicare, but planning to request benefits starting at my FRA of 7/29/2018. Talking to SSA it looks like the form for retiree benefits is the same as Medicare; i.e., it does not show any "start of benefit" entries. The check boxes are all for medicare. Is there another form that SSA points to for retirement benefits only?"
2. I have been on Medicare since July, 2017. I have received a large hit on my IRMAA based part B and D adjustments based on my much higher income in 2016 than what my tax submission for 2017 shows. I have the SSA-44 form and will submit it as soon as my 2017 tax return is complete in a few weeks. How soon might my Part B/ Part D rates be adjusted?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,


Hi Rick,

I'm not very familiar with the actual online applications because Social Security doesn't permit people to look at the online applications unless they certify that they actually want to file for benefits. However, their instructional page ( does show a question that asks when the applicant wants to start their benefits, so I assume that the application path will take you to that question once you indicate that you intend to file for retirement benefits ( You do start out from the same link when filing for either Medicare or Retirement benefits (or both), though.

By the way, if you haven't already done so you should strongly consider using our maximization software to compare your options before deciding when to start drawing your benefits.

I don't have any experience with IRMAA related Part B premium adjustments, so I can't tell you how long it may take for you to actually see a premium decrease.

Best, Jerry