Is There Any Way I Can Increase My Benefit Rate?

Mar 13 2017 - 6:45am

larry I draw ssi on my husband I did not work enough we where married for 15 years
my ssi I s very low his is much higher can I draw some more or only when he passes
away ? i am single and it is hard to make ends meet
thank jou

Hi Coby,

If you're already drawing divorced spouse's benefits on your ex-husband's record, it sounds like you are probably getting as much as you can for now. As you mention, though, your benefit rate would go up in the event that your ex dies before you.

If you are at least age 65, or you are blind or disabled, you may want to check to see if you could be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), which is a needs based program administered by Social Security. For more information, refer to Social Security's website (

Best, Jerry