Ask Larry

Is There Any Way I Can Draw Off Of My Parents' Social Security?

Is there anyway I can draw off my dad and then is there anyway I can draw off my mom who died

Hi. The only way that a child can be paid benefits based on a parent's Social Security earnings history is if the child is either a) under age 18, or b) 18 to 19 and still in high school, or c) they are disabled and they became disabled prior to age 22. The parent must also either be deceased or be drawing Social Security retirement or disability benefits, and if the parent is deceased they must have worked and paid into Social Security long enough to be insured for survivor benefits (

If you think that you may meet the requirements noted above, you should contact Social Security to see about applying for benefits.

Best, Jerry

May 2 2021 - 9:17am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.