Social Security Overpayments

How Can I Get My Son's Benefits Reinstated?

I applied for early retirement in 2015, and first check came in October 2015. In November 2015, I began to work full time again and notified the social security office by phone. The person told me that I did not need to be concerned about benefits for the first year and that it could increase my benefit to keep working full time. At no time did they say I would be penalized. In 2016, I began to work again as a massage therapist and within this field the income can vary from day to day, week to week, and month to month.

How Can We Prove Whether Or Not My Husband Was Overpaid?

In 1989, my husband's father was terminally ill. they requested survivor benefits for my husband for he was 14YO. It was granted, but then, it was rescinded after his father passed and his parents were divorced. His mom was told that the payments to the son had to be returned and she did nothing. We are now close to turning 45 and wondering if any of the payments that are supposedly owed back to the SSA will deduce his future earnings when we retire.

Do I Need A Lawyer?

I was fully at my full retirement age in April 2013. In Oct 2013 I received a letter stating I owed amounts that did
not match what I calculated. I was told by representative at that time that I owed $1332. At this point we set up
a payback plan of $50 per month until paid in full. That would mean 26 or 27 months later I would be completed
with my payback. I should be paid of in Jan of 2016. It is now Jan 2017 and I am still paying back. They are actually

Why Is Social Security Asking Me To Repay Benefits?

I retired in January at the age of 62 and 2 months. In February I received a letter that said I would receive x amount of dollars per month beginning the 4th Wednesday of March and will continue every 4th Wednesday of each month thereafter. I did not receive my February payment in March so I went to the local office and was told my payment was on hold and they would get it taken care of. Needless to say, every month has been a hassle receiving my retirement benefits. I found out they issued critical payments and are requesting I pay the money back.

Can Social Security Reduce My Benefits Because Of Disability Payments I Received In The Past?

I turned 66 in March of this year and applied 3 months prior for SS. I am widowed and started receiving SS in February under my husband. Just recd a letter from SS that they are reducing my monthly benefits by almost 400.00 per month and since i was overpd I owe 3,100. I called SS. Since I recd SS disability in 2003, was encouraged to apply by the company I was receiving benefits from my employer, this payment reduces my now SS benefit. SS states I recd disability under my husband as a disabled widow and that I recd benefits from May,2003 thru Aug 2005.

Can Social Security Force A Person To Pay Back An Overpayment?

Can Social Security force a person to pay back an over payment of benefits when it appears that they made a mistake in the original benefit calculation 16 years ago? They are demanding payment of nearly $12,000 right now. How does one cut through the bureaucracy to get a legitimate hearing or appeal in such case?


There are 2 separate issues involved. One is whether or not the overpayment is correct based on the facts of the case, and the other is whether or not you must repay the overpayment.