Ask Larry

Foreign Pensions

What Benefits Can I Get if Most of My Earnings Are Foreign?

Hi, I write to you from France, where I moved at the age of 24. I have now lived half my life in this country and remain an American citizen. I have been wondering about my social security benefits. I worked on and off in the US from the age of 14 until I moved to France. I can't imagine I would have any retirement benefits, but would the meager amount I earned back then have been accounted for and what can I do to contribute to my American social security while living in France? Thanks, Kris

Friday, July 8, 2016 - 20:45
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.